|Tips#1: Read Together Every Day|
|Read to your child every day. Make this a warm and loving time when the two of you can cuddle close together. Bedtime is an especially great time for reading together.|
|Tips#2: Give Everything A Name|
|You can build comprehension skills early, even with the littlest child. Play games that involve naming or pointing to objects. Say things like, "Where's your nose?" and then, "Where's Mommy's nose?" Or touch your child's nose and say, "What's this?"|
If your child needs a little extra help due to his or her ADD/ADHD, looking into Arizona boarding schools is the right decision. That's because unlike other schools, high school boarding schools are designed and equipped to cater to your child's learning needs. This means providing them with the best environment for learning, specialized courses and lesson plans and offering a unique level of advanced support techniques administered by a trained staff. What this all amounts to is the best learning experience your child can possibly have, and it all takes place in only the best Arizona boarding schools.
While many are inclined to look for a boarding school for boys or a boarding school for girls, studies show that coed boarding schools offer students an easier transition from the normal social life of a typical high school into the highly structured and more focused learning experience they will receive at boarding school. But that's far from the most important thing; let's take a look at what is: the way your child will be learning how to succeed at his or her boarding school.
Top Things to Look For with Teaching Programs in Boarding Schools
The first thing you should look for in boarding school programs is a limited class size. Most top boarding schools in Arizona will only allow ten to fifteen students per class, the lower the better. This gives your child the best chance to succeed under the proper guidance and ensures that your child will be given adequate attention by their teacher. This also reassures you that your money is going to the proper uses: ensuring your child will receive individually tailored learning programs which address their specific needs.
|Tips#3: Say How Much You Enjoy Reading Together|
|Tell your child how much you enjoy reading with him or her. Look forward to this time you spend together. Talk about "story time" as the favorite part of your day.|
|Tips#4: Be Interactive|
|Engage your child so he or she will actively listen to a story. Discuss what's happening, point out things on the page, and answer your child's questions. Ask questions of your own and listen to your child's responses.|
Next, and especially important in boarding schools that specialize in ADD/ADHD, is that the school tests all new, incoming students right away. The best boarding schools in Arizona will do this even as early as orientation to assure that each child's academic level is properly assessed in every subject. This will give the teachers adequate time to tailor programs specifically for your child which will properly address any deficiencies your child may have in certain subjects while at the same time bolstering their strengths with encouraging advancement techniques in others.
The Boarding School Checklist
After ensuring that the boarding school for boys or girls (or coed as we suggest) meets the above attention-giving criteria regarding the teaching staff, here's a list of teaching methods to look for which should be offered and accepted at your final choice of boarding school:
- Provides routine and structure which is predictable to ensure learning environment is stable and distraction free
- Communicates clear expectations frequently to reaffirm students' goals
- Offers immediate and unequivocal feedback to ensure there is no ambiguity
- Has students actualize their problem-solving and short and long term strategies in certain, self-verbalized terms. This ensures the student is learning and thinking, not just “regurgitating” information
- Offers cooperative learning activities in conjunction with standard “solo” activities to make sure social skills are advancing hand-in-hand with education
- Provides an accommodating atmosphere where students are able to learn in the most individually efficient way as they develop new skills
- Provides clear communication on tasks by breaking them down into sub-tasks and skill sets which contain sub-skills
- Offers performance incentives to give students goals to work towards, keeping them on track and motivated
- Gives and provides performance measurement exams and reports on a regular basis
- Is in constant communication with the students concerning progress
Content syndicated on behalf of Oak Creek Ranch Schools with their express permission. All Rights Reserved 2012.
|Tips#5: Read It Again And Again And Again|
|Your child will probably want to hear a favorite story over and over. Go ahead and read the same book for the 100th time! Research suggests that repeated readings help children develop language skills.|
|Tips#6: Talk About Writing, Too|
|Draw your child's attention to the way writing works. When looking at a book together, point out how we read from left to right and how words are separated by spaces.|